Introduction PHOTO ARCHIVE - thumbs Reset/Options BACK HOME
FEBC Australia FEBCCanada FEBC Hong Kong Liang You FEBC CNMI YASKI-FEBC Indonesia FEBC Japan FEBC Korea FEBC Mongolia FEBC Myanmar VOF-FEBC New Zealand FEBC Philippines FEBC Russia FEBA Sinagpore FEBC Taiwan FEBC Thailand FEBA - U.K. United States Nguon Song Radio

Photo/Document Archive

  Filters: ID# ( 1 - 2075 ):
Word or phrase:
   
  Page:    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  87
  Images available: 2075  Images per Page: 24  Showing Page: 8  Order by: Year   Previous Page Next Page
ID # Thumbnail Image Description Keywords Image Information
00071

 -
In early 1947, FEBC launched a radio program for release in North America called "The Call of the Orient." Its purpose was to heighten awareness of the new radio organization. Its method was to find radio stations throughout America that would air the program on a sustaining basis. The program featured missionary stories, gospel messages, as well as music. The photograph shows Ralph Carmichael directing the FEBC orchestra while on the left Robert Bowman and John Broger wait for their cues. The initial recordings were made in a Los Angeles Cumberland Presbyterian church hall.
Listen to a Program

Year:
1947  Country: USA  Set: 33  Updated: 2013-07-24 15:56:14
celebrity music founder


Image Size:   
467 x 345
File Size:  129 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00079

 -
The building in Shanghai where FEBC's broadcasts were recorded. The sign reads "Shanghai Grace Broadcasting Radio." The studios were actually on the premises of Grace Church. The support wires for a radio antenna are visible on the roof. See #0156 for a view of the front of the church, and a clearer view of the antenna.
Year:
1947  Country: CHN  Set: 12  Updated: 2013-07-24 16:03:36
facility


Image Size:   
714 x 521
File Size:  434 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00088

 -
The Veidmarks at the "gate house" around 1947; Arvid, Buster and Lois. The house was the only building on the 12.5 hectare site when the site was purchased.
Year:
1947  Country: PHL  Updated: 2006-03-20 10:26:50
missionary CRCM


Image Size:   
1196 x 804
File Size:  591 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00107

 -
This view shows the unloading of equipment, and the beginning construction of the transmitter building, looking toward the city of Manila. In the foreground are Leodegario Agustin and Arvid Veidmark.
Year:
1947  Country: PHL  Set: 17  Updated: 2008-07-31 20:44:15
facility CRCM construction


Image Size:   
980 x 621
File Size:  329 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00109

 -
Looking more like a military camp than a missionary radio station, tents served as FEBC's first shops and living quarters in 1947. The 55-gallon drums were the standard container for shipping smaller items across the Pacific.
Year:
1947  Country: PHL  Set: 17  Updated: 2008-07-31 20:44:27
facility construction CRCM


Image Size:   
965 x 641
File Size:  314 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00110

 -
Living quarters on FEBC's Karuhatan property in 1947.
Year:
1947  Country: PHL  Updated: 2006-03-20 10:34:12
facility construction CRCM


Image Size:   
928 x 639
File Size:  469 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00111

 -
A 750-foot well had to be dug to provide water. The water was pure, and was made available to the local community. In the 1990's the well began to run dry because of the demand on the water table, caused by Manila's urban encroachment, and was drilled to over 1000 feet where it again was tested to be absolutely pure!
Year:
1947  Country: PHL  Set: 17  Updated: 2008-07-31 20:44:45
construction CRCM


Image Size:   
479 x 326
File Size:  256 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00112

 -
A view of the Karuhatan property showing the well water storage tower. The staff shower stall was below.
Year:
1947  Country: PHL  Set: 17  Updated: 2008-07-31 20:45:06
CRCM


Image Size:   
500 x 324
File Size:  205 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00113

 -
The Karuhatan property had available neither water nor electricity from public utilities. Arvid Veidmark oversees operation of a generator that will supply electricity for lighting and the well pump. Late 1947 or early 1948.
Year:
1947  Country: PHL  Set: 17  Updated: 2008-07-31 20:45:21
construction CRCM staff equipment


Image Size:   
992 x 680
File Size:  400 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00114

 -
Newly completed missionary house #1, Karuhatan property.
Year:
1947  Country: PHL  Updated: 2006-03-20 10:35:08
facility CRCM construction missionary


Image Size:   
498 x 340
File Size:  216 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00115

 -
Newly completed missionary house #2, Karuhatan property.
Year:
1947  Country: PHL  Updated: 2006-03-20 10:35:23
facility CRCM


Image Size:   
500 x 330
File Size:  244 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00127

 -
Arvid Veidmark's account of his trip from the USA to the Philippines and the first days on the new FEBC compound. - Page 1. See page 2 (#F00128).
Year:
1947  Country: PHL  Updated: 2008-06-19 13:35:14
missionary construction staff


Image Size:   
638 x 819
File Size:  428 k
Original: Paper document
Stored: La Mirada
00128

 -
Page 2 of Arvid Veidmark's letter. See page 1 (#F00127).
Year:
1947  Country: PHL  Updated: 2008-06-19 13:35:41
missionary staff construction


Image Size:   
638 x 819
File Size:  467 k
Original: Paper document
Stored: La Mirada
00142

 -
"Gate House" in its original state when FEBC first took ownership of the CRCM property.
Year:
1947  Country: PHL  Updated: 2008-06-29 20:36:21
facility CRCM


Image Size:   
944 x 688
File Size:  351 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00151

 -
The Tai Dong (Tai-Tung) chorus. Inscription on the back of this photograph: "Rehearsing before Service. This is the group that takes care of the XGOA Sacred music program, Shanghai. Note their cheerful faces caused by their joyful hea[rts?]" David K. Shao (Shao Kuang) is directing. See also #43.
Year:
1947  Country: CHN  Set: 12  Updated: 2012-09-23 17:42:39
XGOA music broadcaster


Image Size:   
868 x 612
File Size:  572 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00152

 -
Inscription on back of this 53mm x 40mm photo:"Leland Wang and the students from the Central University Christian Fellowship, Shanghai. They are all of sound faith. They and some from other colleges helped us in musical programs. March, 1947. " The sign appears to say, "Nationwide Radio" in reverse (on glass, seen from the back)?
Year:
1947  Country: CHN  Set: 12  Updated: 2006-10-14 16:42:05
celebrity music


Image Size:   
626 x 486
File Size:  327 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00153

 -
Leland Wang, "a famous preacher" before the microphone in Shanghai. March, 1947. In May of 1954, Rev. Wang visited CRCM (See #1047, 1048). See #154 for inscription on reverse of photo.
Year:
1947  Country: CHN  Set: 12  Updated: 2008-06-19 10:20:40
celebrity microphone


Image Size:   
422 x 396
File Size:  191 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00154

 -
Reverse of #F00153. Photo of Leland Wang, Shanghai.
Year:
1947  Country: CHN  Set: 12  Updated: 2008-06-19 10:20:52
celebrity


Image Size:   
456 x 432
File Size:  152 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00156

 -
This unusual photograph depicts Shanghai street scene in 1947. The photograph measures only about 52mm square and bears no inscription on the back to indicate its significance to FEBC. However someone has written at the top, "ANT." with an arrow pointing to a mast on the roof of the large structure behind the shop fronts. A closer examination of the photograph showed that both the railing grillework on the rear top of the building and the penthouse structure were consistent with that in image #00079. When we examined #79, we noted antenna guy wires attached to the railing. We concluded that the building is the other side of the studio in which CCBS' (FEBC) broadcasts were recorded in 1947 in that city. We do not know how the antenna was utilized. In fact, the building is that of Grace Church (sign at left). The church was closed until the late 1970's, then reopened as a public church.
Year:
1947  Country: CHN  Set: 12  Updated: 2008-07-28 19:48:55
facility


Image Size:   
607 x 635
File Size:  363 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00164

 -
Postal cover. Letter to John Broger from Shanghai technician Thorndike (Tony) New. The postmarks help us set the time during which the broadcasts were first aired. The return address of "375 Seymour Rd." is today's "375 Shanxi Rd., the address of Shanghai Grace Church. Foreign street names were changed to Chinese names under the PRC.
Year:
1947  Country: CHN  Set: 12  Updated: 2007-02-27 09:52:18
covers,postal stamps


Image Size:   
758 x 418
File Size:  346 k
Original: Paper document
Stored: JB
00165

 -
Postal cover. Letter to John Broger from Shanghai technician Thorndike New.
Year:
1947  Country: CHN  Set: 12  Updated: 2006-12-14 21:05:10
covers,postal stamps


Image Size:   
682 x 415
File Size:  323 k
Original: Paper document
Stored: La Mirada
00283

 -
Ralph Carmichael conducts the FEBC orchestra at the Moody Institute of Science sound stage in Santa Monica. The orchestra was an integral part of the "Call of the Orient" radio broadcast production, as well as in the production of records.
Listen to a Program

Year:
1947  Country: USA  Set: 33  Updated: 2013-07-24 16:07:28
celebrity promotion music


Image Size:   
920 x 723
File Size:  368 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00321

 -
Artist's conception of FEBC's first transmitter/administration building at CRCM, Manila, apparently drawn by John Broger (signature "JB."). When completed around 1954, the final product was very close to this model. The date is put at late 1947 or early 1948 because 1)the first building was started in the first half if 1948 and 2)"KZAS" was the original call sign, used only in 1948.
Year:
1947  Country: PHL  Set: 17  Updated: 2008-03-14 20:55:17
facility


Image Size:   
1363 x 774
File Size:  316 k
Original: Black & white Print
Stored: La Mirada
00398

 -
Probably the oldest field letterhead.... from FEBC Philippines, c. 1947ff., pieced together from fragments used to separate photographic negatives from that era. No radio stations are listed, since the first station went on the air in mid 1948. The "P.I." (Philippine Islands) was a leftover from the U.S. occupation; the country had only been independent for one year. The mixture of American and Filipino leadership of the new FEBC organization is rendered here. See image #8. Note listing of "Shanghai."
Year:
1947  Country: PHL  Updated: 2011-03-26 20:29:09
logo


Image Size:   
850 x 804
File Size:  507 k
Original: Paper document
Stored: La Mirada


Copyright 2005-2012
FEBC International
Archiving, Design and Web Implementation by
International Christian Radio Associates, Inc.
All Rights Reserved